Sunday, August 1, 2010

Green Tea Cookies

Even though I'm supposedly dieting, I still felt the need for a nice cookie to go with my tea. I remembered somebody once talking about Earl Grey cookies, which prompted me to google "tea cookies". My queries led me to about.com's recipe for green tea cookies.

The recipe is roughly:
2 cups 2 Tbsp butter
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp matcha (ground green tea)
1/2 of one large beaten egg

I didn't have quite enough butter, on hand, so I substituted probably half a cup of butter with cream cheese, and because I use unsalted butter, I added a 1/4 tsp of salt to the party. Someone commented that the cookies did not impart quite the amount of green tea flavor they were looking for, so I also doubled that amount.

I creamed the sugar and fat together, then the egg. After sifting the tea and flour together, I combined it with the creamed mixture.

Here's a picture of it after chilling for half an hour in the fridge.



After rolling it out in batches (due to space limitations) I stamped out little cookies using a space jar lid. I wanted dainty little cookies after all. I managed to get roughly eighty cookies out of this recipe, by rolling them fairly thin.



This here is not from the first batch of cookies. The instructions said "Place cookies on a rack, then in a baking dish". Now, if I were thinking of anything except how delicious my cookies would be, I would have thought "a cookie that is half fat keeping together long enough to bake without first melting? Silly about.com your recipe cannot be made by normal men". The first batch had melted to the bottom of the dish before baking, encasing the rack and making me have to crumble them in order to get them off. I just put the following batches directly on the rack.



The cookies were baked at 325 F for about 10 minutes.

They're quite green, but even after doubling the recommended amount of matcha, I still think it needs more. I believe the fat coats the tongue and makes it hard to taste the delicate flavor of the tea.

What's your favorite tea cookie combination?

No comments:

Post a Comment