Friday, August 13, 2010

Seattle Excursion


A friend of mine tied the knot in Seattle on Tuesday, so The Boyfriend and I dragged ourselves there. It was a lot of fun.

I spent some time in one of the smaller branches of Uwajimaya's (a Japanese import store / grocery store).



I bought some dango. As far as I know, dango are made out of mochi (which is made out of beating a cooked portion of extremely sticky rice until it is a chewy dough). These dango were stuffed with anko (sweet bean paste, which is a favorite of mine) and lotus root paste. They are probably one million calories each, but they were oh so good.

Also, because I have been eating a lot of sandwiches lately, I made a bento for work tomorrow.

I was trying to do an energy saving technique, in which you wrap up all the side dishes (in this case Beef Little Smokies, cabbage, onion, and sugar snap peas with soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce) in a pouch made of tin foil set directly on top of your cooking rice. It worked well, except that my pouch sprung a leak and made my rice brown. Ah well.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah - Connie here - this is my first visit - I love your foody blog!! I was in Uwajimaya too yesterday and had to just WALK ON BY the various sweet mochi treats which once were one of my favorite foods. Sadly, no more rice for me:-(

    However, your post makes me think of something Japanese-inspired I've been eating lately and enjoying in spite of the no-rice thing. I love handrolls, so I wrapped smoked salmon, goat cheese, and thinly sliced scallions and cucumber in a cone of sesame brushed toasted nori and didn't miss the rice AT ALL!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete