Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Easter (from the land of yesterday)




So, Easter Sunday was kind of a day of ups and downs for me. I had a hobo explain to me for five minutes why I was going to hell for telling him to have a happy Easter. Then I made tori katsu curry (from scratch!) for the people with whom I watch anime. I'm having a real hard time getting the flavor I want without using boxed roux. It was still good and one random friend said "It is a delicious try and thank you for bringing it". It made me happy when one of the guys went back for seconds, and everybody finished their bowl.

See, the thing is that curry bricks (packaged roux) cost around seven dollars where I live, and are filled with questionable ingredients. I also have an obsession with being able to make things from scratch.

Now that I think about it, the latter half of my day was very fitting for Easter, because we had tori (chicken) curry, watched "Tenchi Muyo" which features a cabbit (half cat, half rabbit), and then ate a chocolate cake. Chocolate is firmly associated with two holidays in my mind. Easter and Valentines' Day.

Anyway, to make a roux, you take equal portions of fat (I used butter) and flour and cook it slowly over medium heat until it becomes the "desired" color, while stirring constantly. I was supposed to wait until my roux became brick red, but I was running out of time, so it was more of a dark blond.

I do a Japanese style curry with carrots, potatoes, and onions (along with tomato).
The frustrating thing about searching online for Japanese curry recipes is that it appears that the entire nation makes it from a box. Every Japanese person I know hasn't even heard of making it from scratch.

If you've heard of a from scratch Japanese curry recipe, let me know!

The Almost Daily Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment