Friday, March 26, 2010

More chicken

Tonight's dinner was another butterflied chicken. It was still disturbing to hear the metal separating the bone and flesh, but not as much this time. It might've been because I was super hungry, and therefore hard to gross out.

This time the under the skin rub was red Thai curry paste, with extra ginger and garlic. The Boyfriend said it had a barbecue like quality, but I'm not too sure myself. It was pretty tasty though.

To accompany the chicken we had arugula salad with red bell pepper slices and a dressing made by mixing mustard and pan drippings together. Surprisingly, I thought the dressing could have used a little more salt, though the chicken proper didn't seem to need it.

We also had bread and potato and leek soup. My basic recipe for this goes along these lines:

Ingredients:

potatoes
leeks
garlic
chicken broth
butter
salt

Tools:
spoon
knife
pot
pan
blender

1 leek for every four potatoes

cube the potatoes and cook in enough chicken broth to cover.

In the meantime, roughly chop the leek(s) and separate the rings with your fingers. Sautee gently in butter.

When leeks are soft add 2 cloves of garlic (minced) to every leek.

After the garlic has warmed and the potatoes are soft, add the leek/garlic mixture to the potatoes. Blend with an immersion blender or ladle it into your stand blender. If you're very patient and don't have a blender, you can mash the potatoes, but you'll still have chunks of leek.

Salt to your taste.

I know most recipes call to bake potatoes then run them through a ricer, but the truth is that I don't have one of those. So, this is how I do it.

Let me know if you try it out!

The (Almost) Daily Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment