Monday, March 29, 2010

Pot stickers and Dragons

The Boyfriend and I and a bunch of friends went to see "How to Train Your Dragon" today. It was really much better than I had thought it was going to be, which made it seem even better because I've felt that the last couple movies that I watched were just ever so slightly disappointing in ways that are hard to quantify.

The directing team for the movie was the same as for "Lilo & Stitch" and boy did Toothless (the dragon) resemble Stitch. It's a pretty lovable character, to say the least.

Anyway, since we were watching the movie around dinner time, we had pre frozen pot stickers with a ginger, garlic, lemon, vinegar, soy sauce. I usually leave out the lemon and have sliced green onions instead, but there wasn't any in the fridge. It was a nice sauce, but it's really not the same without the green onion bits to scoop up with your pot sticker and crunch but you do what you can with what you have.

I'm a little tired of the lack of quality in the produce that my store. I mean, I buy a bag of potatoes and there are deep scars in them that have mold in it, I buy garlic and it's sprouted, and I bought a hand of ginger yesterday and I notice today that it has mold growing on a broken piece. It's not a matter of not using it quickly enough either because I try to buy small portions and such. It's especially frustrating because the only other grocery store in town has such a high ceiling with exposed rafters that birds have taken up permanent residence above their produce section. This means my two choices for fresh fruit and veg are old and moldy or new and susceptible to bird shit. In the words of Bart Simpson "Ay carramba".

I just wait and pray for the farmers' market.

The Almost Daily Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment